About the teacher training centre
As we face the global outbreak of Coronavirus Covid-19, we strengthen our commitment to the health and safety of every member of our international community. We want to reassure all of you that we are being vigilant and monitoring the situation as the international organisation we are. Today our teams are working hard and focusing on taking measures in order to protect our community and to reduce the impact of the pandemic.
In an effort to help the global community of CELTA candidates, the IH Mexico City has decided to officially launch and support the running of a 100% online CELTA. This will continue to provide CELTA training to the global community and facilitate the training needed by many potential candidates out there eager to continue developing their teaching skills in a completely safe environment, while at the same time equipping you for the skill needed in a new reality in this world: online teaching!
For more details of the 100% online course, find a course and click "More info".
The IH Mexico City centre is very well-located in one of the best neighbourhoods in the city (our own Mexican ‘Soho’), with boutique hotels, art galleries, LGBT-friendly places, pet-friendly hotels and restaurants. Our building has protected status because of its Mexican cultural heritage - you will be studying and working in a historic location!
Each year the school is the base for hundreds of teacher training candidates, thousands of students taking face to face courses either at the centre or in their own company premises, and tens of thousands registering for IELTS and other exams. There is always somebody coming or going through the main doors!
Classrooms are spacious with computers, wi-fi, stationery and photocopiers available for students to use - with no charges. We also have an electronic library of resources for candidates to work on their materials, assignments, and lesson plans from the comfort of their homes and weekends if they wish.
Mexico City is full of culture and history. It's historic centre, better known as Zocalo, has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and is the heart of a living culture that exudes everything accumulated since the founding of Tenochtitlan, the original Mexico City.
What is the CELTA?
The CELTA is a TEFL qualification which prepares you to teach English as a foreign language. You don’t need any existing English language teaching experience or training. It’s usually a 4 or 5 week full time course but you can also take it 100% online and part time.
Standing up in front of a class for the first time is a daunting prospect, so you need to make sure you have the skills you need to teach effectively. The CELTA prepares you for the classroom in these ways:
Taught sessions on methodology, lesson planning, language analysis and language skills. (In total, you’ll have 120 hours of input.)
The opportunity to observe experienced teachers in real-life language classroom situations – so you can see the different skills and techniques they use.
Teaching yourself – with helpful and detailed feedback from your tutors. This practical experience is invaluable when you start your first job.
You’ll have to complete some written assignments as well, but when it’s all successfully completed you’ll be ready for your first job and first students!
What is the 100% CELTA Online?
In response to unprecedented conditions with coronavirus, we are very pleased to offer 100% CELTA online.
The Cambridge CELTA Course Online (or CELTA Online) is a flexible way to take CELTA. It leads to the same CELTA qualification and is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria.
Like the face-to-face CELTA course, CELTA Online has a significant practical component. You will complete 6 hours of assessed teaching practice in groups in an online classroom, from the comfort of your home!
This is how it will work:
- Monday to Friday: Input sessions online via Moodle (a learning platform). When you access the sessions will be flexible, and you can fit around your existing commitments.
- Teaching Practice, Feedback and Guided Lesson Planning: Depending on the course dates, you will need to take 3 hours of live sessions per week on a specific day. There will be an option of two days (e.g. Fridays or Saturdays, Mondays or Wednesdays, etc) that you can choose to suit you. On the selected day there will be a morning and evening shift so that we can cater for people in different time zones.
- You can choose to attend the morning session 10am to 1:30 pm Mexico time, or the evening session 7pm to 10:30pm Mexico time - (assuming there are enough students to run all classes).
- On top of aforementioned hours, on four specific Saturdays (Mexico morning time) throughout the course you need to attend 2 hours of live sessions (not Teaching Practice).
Will the fact that I’ve taken CELTA Online appear on my certificate?
No. CELTA Online leads to exactly the same certificate as the face-to-face CELTA. Assessed outcomes are the same for all trainees, so there is no need for separate certification.
Why take CELTA online with IH Mexico?
At IH Mexico we are at a very privileged position to be able to offer all our CELTA Online candidates the following premium benefits:
A course 100% online with use of Zoom and access to the official Cambridge CELTA Moodle website, with access to sample assignments, sample lesson plans, and video recorded lessons (both face to face classes and live online teaching!)
- Our new and complementary IH Mexico Certificate in Teaching English Online course, with 30hrs of input on tasks, strategies, and approaches to planning in the online environment.
- Access to 3 exclusive teaching and planning webinars for free over the next year, delivered by our premium partner TEFL Horizons, so that you can continue to develop your teaching skills as a newly qualified teacher.
- 15% discount on our new launched CLIL (Content Language Integrated Learning) course.
- 50% discount on a language awareness course, delivered by our premium partner, TEFL Horizons, so that you can prepare for your CELTA work before and during the online course itself!
Our CELTA 100% Online course timetable combines the benefit of access to a range of online resources and materials, with face to face teaching. This gives you maximum flexibility in how you do your course and minimal time spent away from earning an income.
Most CELTA courses are run over 4 or 5 weeks, Monday to Friday, This can be intense, as it’s a relatively short time to take everything on board.
Our CELTA allows for more time for you to process information and prepare for teaching practice. How do we do this? Our timetable is either:
- CELTA100% online - Semi- intensive – 6 weeks
- CELTA100% online - Part Time – 12 weeks
CAMBRIDGE CELTA MATERIALS
We, at International House Mexico, deliver the course using the official Cambridge CELTA materials only, making sure we follow and adhere to their international standards in all respects, including materials, tasks, sessions and content. This includes:
- Access to a fully equipped website with ELT materials, course books, CDs for use in the classroom
- Access to a range of videoed lessons you can watch according to you lesson focus and scope, before and after teaching practice
- An online library with materials and resources specific to each assignment on the course
- Access to your CELTA portfolio online even long after your course. Your CELTA portfolio is kept online on a cloud for you to access this from anywhere in the world!
FREE TEACHING ENGLISH ONLINE COURSE & EXTRA BENEFITS
International House Mexico, includes a complementary course on Teaching English Online, completely free of charge!
This new programme provides practising teachers with input and practical content to equip them with many of the tools and skills they need to deliver their classes online, both asynchronous and synchronously. It is self-study, so you can complete in your own time, when it suits you.
The online units cover the following:
- Teaching Online: basics and theory
- Asynchronous Learning
- Course Platforms and tools
- VLE (virtual Learning Environments)
- Synchronous learning - Conducting Live sessions
- Other Tools and Resources for Online Teaching
- Assignments, Assessment and feedback, Areas of specialism & Tutorials or Live Observation
STUDY & GUIDED LESSON PLANNING SESSIONS
We include study sessions on the course specifically designed for written assignments, which means you will have time in between assignments, TPs and input sessions to complete lesson plans, produce materials, or simply take advantage of your peers and tutors to ask them more questions as needed!
On our course you will get two specific workshops to help with assignments, what better way to work on your first two assignments than with the help of your tutors! 😊
EXTRA IT AND G. SUITE TRAINING
Our course provides specific training for how to use not just Zoom, but rather a range of other educational technologies for teaching purposes.
JOB PLACEMENT AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Extensive supervised teaching practice.
- Access to the IH World network of schools.
- Job and careers advice service, including access to our network of recruitment agents in different parts of the world. We run a Job Fair at the end of every single CELTA 100% Online course!
“Being trained under International House quality standards is a synonym of excellence and professionalism”
What will fellow students be like?
We have a mix of candidates from different parts of the world. Our candidates mostly come, however, from the US, the UK, Canada, Mexico, Australia and other parts of Latin America. Most candidates are between 20 and 50 years old, from different paths and walks of life, either starting in the profession, or developing their practice.
Tutors at this training centre
Orlando Delgado Mata
He is currently involved in developing the new MA TESOL programme for IH Mexico, and is also an external assessor and consultant for the Ministry of Education in Mexico. He holds an MA TESOL (Teacher Education) from the University of Manchester and is now working towards his MBA from the University of Warwick. His main areas of interest are Teacher Education & Development, Online Training, and Psychology of Language Learning.
Linda Musatye Osuna García
I loved finding out my students’ real needs so I can plan my lessons according to them, matching my objectives with theirs, making sure my lessons were useful to their own lives and contexts. I love observing student first and listening to their own backgrounds so I can find specific examples, materials, techniques or ways of helping them according to their individual needs.
The advice that I would give to all my CELTA trainees is to be organized and have sound time management skills. As the course progresses the demands are higher and if the time allotted to write lesson plans, write assignments and read is tight, it will take a toll on energy levels. Focus on the progress you are experimenting, and be receptive and open to feedback, our main goal as tutors is to guide you to be successful.
Carmen Torres Marquez
When teaching in the classroom I enjoy delivering language presentations and setting up activities. I demonstrate how I deliver the grammar presentations and how I provide instructions to carry an activity.
Andrew John Watson
I worked in radio and print journalism as a cub reporter in the UK for one year before taking Trinity Cert. TESOL in November 1993, and also as a business reporter and editor in Mexico in freelance and staff positions. In the end, I found education more satisfying than journalism, although my enthusiasm for writing persisted and informed my decision to focus on writing for teachers as a MAEd specialisation.
My hopes and aspirations for my trainees are that they leave the course with an inventory of skills and knowledge to successful navigate the first months of their job but without complacency: they’ll know about the need to upgrade teaching skills on an ongoing basis.
Eliberto Salinas Vargas
I loved it when I could help my students become autonomous learners, and ever since I started my training career, I have tried to give my trainees insight into the importance of promoting critical thinking in their lessons.
I want to provide my trainees with the best teaching practice world-wide tools that will allow them to work in any place of their choice as they embark on this fascinating career.
The key to successfully completing the teacher training course is just to work hard! Like any other profession, teaching has a number of techniques to be learnt and then mastered. You need to be ready to receive feedback and take it on board to benefit from the course even more.