- You must have a degree (e.g. BA, BSc)
- Aplicants must have one year's teaching experience plus a teaching qualification in a STEM subject OR a CELTA qualification with A-level or equivalent in Maths
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the prestigious IH network in 2015. As a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, the school is committed to providing quality education.
IH British School Reggio Calabria is a private language school which specialises in teaching English as a foreign language but, in recent years, we have also collaborated with a number of local primary and secondary state schools in running courses in Mathematics and other subjects, including preparation for the Cambridge International IGCSE qualifications.
The school has a learning-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff.
Working with us provides the opportunity to:
- Further your practical experience of teaching in a quality, caring school with a wide variety of class types (from VYLs to Adults; beginner to proficiency; subject and exam preparation classes).
- Further your knowledge of language testing and assessment in one of the largest authorized Cambridge ESOL Centres in Southern Italy (proud holders of the prestigious "Platinum" status for the past few years).
- Become a Cambridge ESOL Speaking Examiner (dependent upon experience and relevant only to those with ELT experience).
- Learn from a team of friendly, supportive peers (there is a full-time teaching staff of 18 teachers, including an academic management team of five people) whose experience is wide and varied.
- Give and receive constructive feedback from regular observations and appraisals.
- Benefit from our excellent professional development programme which includes INSETTs, regular observations, appraisals, peer observation, team-teaching, drop-in lesson planning support, reading groups, conferences etc.)
- Settle into the school and the city by attending a fully-paid induction course and Italian lessons which run for the length of the contract.
- Access a wealth of resources (e.g. Interactive Whiteboards / TVs, computer rooms, Wi-Fi throughout, up-to-date and well-stocked teaching resource library). A netbook or laptop and portable speaker is provided for the duration of the contract.
The role-holder will be required to work an average of 22 teaching hours per week, with an additional 3 hours per week dedicated to training, development and admin. This position involves teaching Mathematics in English to Italian secondary school students (aged 11-18) and preparing students for the Cambridge IGCSE examination, following a course plan designed by our current Maths Co-ordinator. The lessons will be held offsite, in local state schools. Should the successful applicant have the relevant experience and qualifications, there can also be the possibility to teach English to various levels and ages.
Reggio is a warm, friendly city, situated right next to the sea on the “toe” of Italy. Join the locals each evening for a kilometre-long “passeggiata” on its palm tree-lined promenade and enjoy the stunning views of Sicily and Mt. Etna. The centre of Reggio has shops, bars and places to eat but is also small enough for everything to be within easy walking distance. Reggio is one of the safer cities in Italy, with very little petty crime, and, depending on the season, there is plenty to do in Reggio and its surroundings: from walking along the beaches and sailing, to skiing in the nearby mountains and eating in a cosy agriturismo. Our teachers love exploring the undiscovered Calabrian countryside with the dramatic and impressive backdrop of the Aspromonte mountain range.
The city is also ideally situated for visiting other places in Italy with a small port (ferry to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands), a train station (including a fast train to Rome), and an airport (flights to Rome and Milan). If you're looking for direct international flights, Catania or Lamezia (roughly 1 hour away) have different direct connections.
Here, you can find out the top 10 things our teachers love about living in Reggio Calabria: https://www.britishschoolrc.com/work-with-us/the-city
and to find out more about us, from our teachers, watch this video:
Accommodation: Assistance provided in finding accommodation at a reasonable price
Holiday: 20 days holiday per annum, pro-rata
Interested applicants should complete the form on our website: https://www.britishschoolrc.com/work-with-us/how-to-apply