- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- You must have at least one year's teaching experience OR experience of preparing students for the Maths IGCSE qualification.
- The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
The role-holder will be required to work an average of 24 teaching hours per week, with an additional 3 hours per week dedicated to training, development and admin. This position involves teaching Mathematics in English to Italian secondary school students (aged 11-18) and preparing students for the Cambridge IGCSE examination, following a course plan designed by our current Maths Co-ordinator.
Many of the lessons taught will be held offsite, in local state schools, but transport is provided if the venue is not within reasonable walking distance. In addition to Maths, the successful applicant will also teach English to a range of levels and ages (depending on experience).
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the prestigious IH network in 2015. The school is also a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, and is committed to providing quality language courses and exam preparation.
The school has a learning-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff. We hold regular teacher-training events and each year we invite external trainers (e.g. Adrian Underhill, Jim Scrivener) to deliver workshops just for our teachers. The students range in age from pre-schoolers to adults and the Young Learner and subject (Maths, History and Biology) teaching departments in particular have seen a steady increase over the past few years.
In addition to those held on the school premises, courses are organised in local primary and secondary schools, as well as kindergartens. The school also runs regular teacher training workshops and seminars for teachers in local state schools.
Working with us provides the opportunity to:
- Further your practical experience of teaching in a quality, caring school with a wide variety of class types (from VYLs to Adults; beginner to proficiency; subject and exam preparation classes).
- Further your knowledge of language testing and assessment in one of the largest authorized Cambridge ESOL Centres in Southern Italy (proud holders of the prestigious "Platinum" status for the past few years).
- Become a Cambridge ESOL Speaking Examiner (dependent upon experience).
- Learn from a team of friendly, supportive peers (there is a full-time teaching staff of 20-24 teachers, including an academic management team of five people) whose experience is wide and varied.
- Give and receive constructive feedback from regular observations and appraisals.
- Benefit from our excellent professional development programme which includes INSETTs, regular observations, appraisals, peer observation, team-teaching, drop-in lesson planning support, reading groups, conferences etc.)
- Settle into the school and the city by attending a fully-paid induction course and Italian lessons which run for the length of the contract.
- Access a wealth of resources (e.g. Interactive Whiteboards / TVs, computer rooms, Wi-Fi throughout, up-to-date and well-stocked teaching resource library). For teachers working with offsite courses, a netbook or laptop and portable speaker is provided for the duration of the contract.
Reggio is a warm, friendly, coastal city just in front of Sicily with a centre that is small enough so that everything is within easy walking distance. Depending on the season, there is plenty to do in Reggio and its surroundings: from walking along the beaches and sailing, to skiing in the nearby mountains and eating in a cosy agriturismo.
The city is also ideally situated for visiting other places in Italy with a small port (ferry to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands), a train station (including a fast train to Rome), and an airport (flights to Rome and Milan). If you're looking for direct international flights, Catania or Lamezia (roughly 1 hour away) have different direct connections.
To find out what our teachers say about us, watch this video.
You can find other teacher testimonials, as well as further information about our team, our ethos and our students here.
Accommodation: Accommodation found within walking distance of the school for 250-400 Euros p.c.m.
Holiday: 20 days holiday per annum, pro-rata.
To apply, please visit our webpage.