In Kyiv, students fit English lessons around their work and school. So, this diary from a teacher in Kyiv is usual of a local community school with lots of evening classes.
After a well-rested weekend, any time between 9:00 and 11:00am I start planning my lessons for the week, I do this either from the comfort of my home or from school where I have many resources available (books, board games, photocopier, scanner, etc.)
- 3:00 to 4:30 pm I have an Upper- Intermediate Business English one-to-one lesson. We use either material from a Business English book or resources from the internet such as TED Talks, The Guardian, BBC, anything that I find interesting and will stimulate conversation about business.
- 4:45 to 6:15 pm: General English YL lesson, Intermediate level. We are using a course book, but many times I use games and self-discovery approach techniques to get the students engaged.
- 7:00 pm: FCE preparation course with teenagers. Exam preparation courses are challenging, but both students and I learn a lot.
- 9:00 pm I usually go home, but if any friends or colleagues are up for it, I might go out for a couple of drinks in the school’s neighbourhood.
I don’t start teaching before 12:00 pm, so I have a slow morning: a big breakfast and a nice cup of coffee. I do some personal errands and at 11:00 I head to school to get organized for an upcoming one-to-one Skype lesson.
- 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm Skype lesson with a Business English client. The class takes place at school where there is a quiet room for Skype lessons.
- After my lunch break of about 45 minutes. I do some more lesson planning and might go to the gym.
- 4:30 to 6:00 pm: in-company class in the same building of IH Kyiv: a group of 4 students with different job positions at an agricultural company.
- 6:00 pm wrap up the day, organize a little for the next day and go home, or out for a walk or dinner with friends.
- At 7:40 I take the subway to go to an in-company class. The class starts at 8:30 with an enthusiastic group of IT specialists. At 10 am I finish class and take a 2 hour break.
- 12:00 pm: lesson planning at IH Kyiv.
- 2:00 pm short half hour break for lunch.
- After lunch some more lesson planning and administration work.
- 4:45 to 6:15 pm: YL General English group again. This is a small group of 5 students aged 12 and 13.
- 7:00 to 9:00 pm: FCE preparation class: students are usually tired at the end of the day, so I tend to start the lessons either with a Pictionary, Taboo or riddle game to revise vocab from the previous lesson.
- 9:00 pm: it has been a long day, I am ready to go home and rest.
Late start: time for coffee and a treat at a nearby trendy coffee shop, if any other teacher is available we might do this together, it’s more fun this way!
- 10:30 am: I head to school to do some lesson planning and organize myself for my one-to-one Skype lesson.
- 12:00 to 1:30 pm: Business English Skype lesson in the school premises
- 4:30 to 6:00 pm: I go back to another lesson with my in-company students. No commuting involved, the company is just one floor up from IH Kyiv.
- I head back home any time between 6:30 and 7:30 pm, it depends on my lesson planning. I usually go for an evening brisk walk before I head home and cook myself a nice dinner and watch some Netflix.
- Early start: at 7:40 am I take the subway to teach my IT specialists. I like teaching in different premises, it gives me the chance to change my work environment and explore a different neighbourhood after class.
- 3:00 to 4:30 pm I have my one-to one Upper-Intermediate Business English lesson: I bring several business decision making scenarios and discuss them together with my student. This usually generates lots of conversation and room for error correction.
- 4:45 to 6 pm: every other week: Speaking Club. Extra activity for IH students and also external attendees. This is a fun activity based on different topics where students practice free speaking.
It’s the weekend: I don’t work! FREE