- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a degree (e.g. BA, BSc)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER WANTED 2020/21 October/May
THE TOWN: We are a School of Languages located in the centre of Pescara, a modern and vibrant town in the central part of Italy, on the Adriatic coast. It is a city well-connected to the local airport and other transport services to the main cities in Italy and Europe and less than 3 hours from Rome. The town is a seaside resort with long sandy beaches very popular with young people and with an active social life at night.
Pescara is the main town in Abruzzo, our region which is considered the green heart of Italy for its parks and its is also 1 hours and a half from the most popular sky resorts on the Appennines.
THE SCHOOL: Our school was established in 1989 and since then we have been working with private students, (both adults and children) firms, organising in-company courses and public schools where we run exam preparation courses. We are now considered an institution in town, with generation of students attending our courses.
The school has been a member of Aisli (Associazione italiana scuole di lingue) since 2013 and part of International House World Organization since 2017. The affiliation to these prestigious institutions guarantees quality in education and teaching.
We are also a Cambridge Platinum Centre, running more than 4500 exams per year all over the region.
THE STAFF: The Academic Management Team comprises our Managing Director, Director of Studies, Assistant Dos, Course Coordinator. The number of English teachers in school varies over the year from 15 to 20. We like working in team and sharing good teaching practice. That is why regular meetings are important to us. We discuss books, programmes, students and plan shared courses as well as having training sessions.
Our Academic management team is always very supportive, working with us will give you an opportunity to:
- Teach in a quality and caring environment
- Improve your knowledge of language assessment
- Become a Cambridge Assessment English examiner (depending on experience)
- Learn Italian as a fringe benefit
- Give and receive constructive feedback from regular observation
- Have a regular professional development programme
TEACHING MATERIAL: The school provides all necessary teaching material to the teachers who are required to use it and prepare the lessons at school. Apart from text books for the different levels we also have a large quantity of supplementary materials, including a good selection of books and audio materials for optional activities to help with skills acquisition and grammar and vocabulary knowledge and also methodology books.
TYPE OF COURSES: At this school, most of our current work involves teaching small group (8 students maximum) and individual courses for children, teenagers and adults. There is now a flourishing base of work in Young Learners in English with the children who prepare for the Cambridge Starters and Movers examinations. The teenagers and adult students often follow programmes related to exam preparation for the Cambridge main suite exams like Key (KET), Preliminary (PET), and First (FCE), although we also have courses for Advanced (CAE), Proficiency (CPE) and IELTS. Courses are held at our own premises, in state schools and also in companies.
COURSE ORGANISATION: Our school is open from 09.00 a.m. to 09.00 p.m., Monday-Friday, and 9-13 on Saturdays. We have both child and adult group classes and individual lessons. Group courses last approx. 8 months, starting in October and finishing at the end of May, while individual lessons can start at any time during the year. We also teach in state schools and companies. Teachers are required to work from Monday to Friday and Saturday morning with a free morning or afternoon during the week.
Recently, there has been an increase in the number of children and teenagers so we would prefer teachers with some experience of teaching young learners or who are, at least, keen on learning how to do so.
Qualifications: B.A. and CELTA (or similar qualification); basic knowledge of Italian
Experience: at least 1-year experience in the teaching of English to foreigners. Preferably, some knowledge of Cambridge English examinations.
- Start date: beginning of October (to be defined together)
- Duration of contract: 8 months for a total of 800 hours
- Salary: Minimum salary € 1100,00 EUR net per month+ end of the contract bonus of 300 EUR.
- The salary can be negotiated with candidates with specific and relevant experience.
- Type of contract: “assunzione a tempo determinato” (Italian contract) or British Contract - negotiable
- Every extra hour on top of the 800 hours paid proportionally.
- Should the teacher be required to work less than 800 hours the salary would still be the same if it is the school’s fault (lack of hours) and not the teacher’s reduced availibility.
- Our teachers work an average of 100/110 hours per month (in some months less and in peak months more)
If you would like to have an interesting and challenging job in teaching English and you want to have further information please send your cv with contact details to:
Managing Director - Antonella Taraborrelli: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Studies – Chloé Pakeman-Schiavone: email@example.com
Accommodation: Our teachers normally share a flat and in that case the cost of the room would be around € 300 per month. Generally, the cost of living in Pescara is not very high considering that it is a medium sized town and the school is always very willing to help in the search for accommodation.
At the moment the school has a flat available 50 metres from beach in a nice residential area and 15 minutes walking from school.
Holiday: Holiday is taken in the period from December 23rd to 6th January, Good Friday, Easter Monday, and national holidays.