You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification.
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a degree (e.g. BA, BSc)
- Teachers should be based in Riga throughout the duration of their contract.
- Following Brexit, British citizens may no longer automatically have the right to work in the EU though we may assist in organising visas on a case-by-case basis for exceptional candidates.
- At least one year post-initial qualification experience
- Experience of teaching online
- A YL qualification will be considered a plus
- Experience of working in or training at an IH school
Each teacher has a variety of classes, encompassing different levels and age groups. The majority of our students are young learners, so all teachers are expected to teach children from aged 5 upwards and we have many high level teens classes. We also offer general English to adults, IELTS preparation, individual classes and specialised business courses.
There is an average of 23 real hours (60 mins) of teaching per week, with an additional 1 - 2 hours per week dedicated to training, development and admin. Timetables differ, but the majority of classes are taught on site. Spilt days are kept to a minimum. Classes may be online, face-to-face or a combination of both, depending on the local Covid 19 situation and restrictions.
The school provides comprehensive academic support and professional development. Our Senior Team provides day-to-day guidance and constantly works to improve our systems and procedures. Teachers enjoy a supportive atmosphere where they can learn from a team of approximately 25 friendly and supportive peers whose experience is wide and varied. There are opportunities to give and receive constructive feedback from regular observations and appraisals, team meetings and training sessions. As well as in-house training and development, our teachers can take advantage of the wide variety of training courses offered by the IH network.
- Paid induction
- Weekly team meetings and training workshops
- Lesson planning support and guidance
- Peer and formal observations and personal feedback
- Well-stocked teachers’ room and resource library
- Free survival Latvian lessons
Flights: Flights are reimbursed up to 250 EUR
Accommodation: Shared accommodation in the city centre is provided by the school for a monthly rent of 100 EUR. Heating bills are paid for by the school, but teachers are responsible for other bills.
Visa: Assistance with obtaining residency and work permit
Holiday: There are up to 31 days paid holidays (including public holidays) for 12 month contract and up to 24 days paid holidays for 9 month contract. The school is closed for approximately 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year and on some public holidays throughout the year.