- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- Full mastery of English across all 4 skills to CEFR C2/IELTS band 8 required, evidenced by a high standard of written and spoken English throughout the application process. This applies to both native and non-native applicants.
- All teachers must be based in Bydgoszcz for the duration of their contact.
- Preferred: the right to work within the EU. Following Brexit, British citizens may no longer automatically have this right, though we may assist in organising a visa for strong candidates. Due to the length of the visa process and the need for an immediate start we are only able to assist with visas for British citizens at this time.
We are looking for enthusiastic teachers who would like to join our dynamic team at IH Bydgoszcz, where we have been providing high quality lessons and teacher support for almost 30 years.
Our school is particularly suitable for teachers in the first few years of their career after their initial certificate. We provide a highly supportive environment where your career can go from strength to strength through our comprehensive development programme. We are highly regarded within the International House organisation and beyond for the quality of our professional development and support for teachers.
- Weekly collaborative planning meetings.
- Free attendance at the IH Bydgoszcz and IH Torun Teacher Training Days.
- Weekly workshops.
- Peer, formal and video observations.
- Large library of professional development resources.
- Weekly survival Polish lessons.
- IH Certificate in Teaching Younger Learners and Teenagers (IH CYLT) for teachers who return for a second year, with teachers covering only the cost of the certificate – we pay for the course.
- A supportive staffroom, with senior staff are available to help with anything you need when planning.
Your timetable will include a mix of ages and levels, including teenagers, adults and 121s. You may also have young learners, very young learners and in-company classes, depending on your experience and preferences. It will be divided between face-to-face and Zoom lessons. You will teach about 20 clock hours a week, with no weekend teaching, although you may occasionally be asked to help out with school social events. Some of your classes will be off-site, and wherever possible you will be driven to these lessons, with travel time paid. In the event of having to work from home due to the pandemic, you will teach all of your classes via Zoom, and receive any support you need from the school to do this.
Pay and benefits
- Full-time ten-month contract.
- Basic salary guaranteed regardless of hours worked. Overtime and travel paid.
- Salary: 1,700-2,175 PLN net per month depending on qualifications, experience, timetable, and years at IH (as detailed in the contract).
- Shared fully-equipped accommodation provided by the school in a flat with another teacher, including utilities (not internet). All flats are within 25 minutes walking distance of the school. The school also covers flat deposits and estate agent fees for our flats. This is the equivalent of approximately 1,100 PLN per teacher per month.
- One return flight to Poland from within Europe to the value of approximately 600-800PLN each year. The refund for your flight to Poland is on arrival, with the return leg refunded on completion of the contract.
- Medical care using the Polish health care system or private medical insurance as applicable.
- Regular holidays throughout the year, including two weeks at Christmas/New Year and two weeks in January/February. Approximately two weeks pro-rata holiday pay is paid at the end of the contract.
- Plus all of the professional development!
Bydgoszcz is in the north of Poland, with excellent transport links to the rest of Europe, including an international airport with direct flights to London Stansted, London Luton, Birmingham and Frankfurt, making it a good base to explore from. It is also within easy reach of airports in Gdansk, Poznan, Warsaw and Berlin by bus and train.
The city has about 400,000 people, with something for everybody. There is a gym and a cinema next door to the school. Bydgoszcz is well-known for its beautiful parks, including one across the road from school and the largest city park in Poland a 10-minute tram ride away.
Few people dream of Poland as the place they want to end up once they've qualified as an EFL teacher. Fewer still have heard of our city, and even fewer can pronounce it (here's some help!), but everyone who lives here comes to appreciate how liveable it is as a city, and how great it is as a base for exploration of the rest of Poland and Europe.
We take great care to help teachers settle in to their new life teaching English in Poland, supporting their health and wellbeing. Having IH Bydgoszcz on your CV is a guarantee of quality, and will stand you in good stead for the rest of your career, so why not join us?