Essential role requirements:
- Qualifications: You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- Qualifications: You must have a Bachelor’s university degree
- The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU. (Please note that UK citizens no longer automatically have the right to work in the EU, so please check your visa status.)
IH Bratislava is recruiting qualified EFL teachers to join a team of over 65 professional teachers.
Bratislava's advantage is its proximity to cities such as Vienna, Prague and Budapest. A capital city steeped in history and culture, it is also possible to spend time shopping in some of Slovakia's largest shopping centres, drink coffee in cosy coffee shops or enjoy a beer and traditional Slovak food.
Post title: Teacher of English
Location and department: International House Bratislava, teaching online and travel to off-site classes (companies and state schools)
Reports to: The Director of Studies
Summary of role:
Responsible for teaching 25-30 TH (teaching hours) a week (1 TH = 45-min.). You will deliver lessons aimed at General English, Business English adult students and young learners on the school premises, in companies and state schools. The adults’ levels range from A2 to C2 whereas the young learners’ run from A1 to C1. All lessons are taught from Mondays to Fridays, and classes usually start at 7:30 although this can vary from day to day. You might be asked to teach a few classes in the evenings but in general, most teaching finishes by 6pm, and 3pm on Fridays. No teaching takes place at the weekend.
- Plan, prepare and deliver lessons that are appropriate for your students and are based on the Communicative Language Approach.
- Travel to offsite classes (companies and state schools)
- Take part in the school’s teacher development scheme. Perform a few mandatory teacher development tasks (peer observations, attending workshops) and some optional ones (writing reports on methodological resources, attending conferences/webinars, delivering a workshop). This is done over the course of the academic year, and teachers get paid extra for completing these tasks.
Criteria Essential (E) or Desirable (D)
Qualifications and education
A Bachelor’s university degree E
A Celta, TESOL, IHC or equivalent E
Flexible to travel to off-site classes (companies and state schools) E
Must be an EU citizen or have a Slovak work permit. E
(Only applicants with a current right to work in the EU can be considered as the visa process takes more than 3 months.)
Due to the volume of applications received, only successful applicants will be contacted.
Salary and Benefits
- Freelance contract
- Minimum 25-30 TH (teacing hour) a week (1 teaching hour = 45 minutes)
- Length: 1 year
- Hourly rates: 11 – 13,5 Euros per TH (monthly income: 1,100 – 1,600 Euros)
The school can help accommodate teachers in shared flats (currently it is approximately 200 - 350 Euros a month rent).
Allowance and bonuses
- First month travel allowance (25 Euros)
- Loyalty travel bonus 150 Euros upon completion of a 1-year contract
- Flight reimbursement of up to 150 Euros (if the teacher terminates the contract before completing 1 year with the school, the reimbursement amount will be deducted from the teacher’s pay)
Opportunities to earn extra by
- Taking part in the teacher development programme
- Mentoring new recruits
- Taking part in mock lessons
- Cambridge examining
- Doing some administrative tasks
- School provides help getting Trade License and doing other paperwork (opening a bank account, obtaining a transport pass)
- Constant support from the academic staff (DoS, ADoSes, Mentors)
- Workshops and training sessions
- Supportive and cooperative atmosphere working with a team of enthusiastic and professional teachers
- Discounts on professional development courses such as IH BET (Business English Teaching
Certificate), IH CAM (Advanced Methodology) and IHCYLT online course (online or face-to-face)
- Free Slovak lessons
- Resources from the IH World network
IH Bratislava is committed to looking after the welfare of its staff and students, and expects all employees to share this commitment. By applying for this job you confirm that you are of suitable character, safe to work with children and young people, and have no relevant criminal convictions