About the teacher training centre
International House Sydney City is located in the Sydney Central Business District (CBD), within short walks from Town Hall/Wynyard/Martin Place train stations and the Queen Victoria Building bus stops. The iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge are a 15-minute walk from the school.
What is the CELTA
The CELTA is a TEFL qualification which prepares you to teach English as a foreign language. You don’t need any existing English language teaching experience or training. It’s usually a 4 or 5 week full time course (but you can also take it part time).
Standing up in front of a class for the first time is a daunting prospect, so you need to make sure you have the skills you need to teach effectively. The CELTA prepares you for the classroom in these ways:
- Taught sessions on methodology, lesson planning, language analysis and language skills. (In total, you’ll have 120 hours of input.)
- The opportunity to observe experienced teachers in a real-life language classroom situations – so you can see the different skills and techniques they use.
- Teaching yourself – with helpful and detailed feedback from your tutors. This practical experience is invaluable when you start your first job.
You’ll have to complete some written assignments as well, but when it’s all successfully completed you’ll be ready for your first job and first students!
CELTA Online with IH Sydney
In response to unprecedented conditions with coronavirus, we are very pleased to offer 100% CELTA online. There are "virtual" face to face commitments as there are daily input sessions with CELTA tutors on the Zoom platform. The course is not self-paced.
The Cambridge CELTA Course Online (or CELTA Online) is a flexible way to take CELTA. It leads to the same CELTA qualification and is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria.
Like the face-to-face CELTA course, CELTA Online has a significant practical component. You will complete 6 hours of assessed teaching practice in groups in an online classroom, from the comfort of your home!
Trainees who complete the course fully online will be given the opportunity to participate in real-classroom teaching practice free of charge once the corona virus crisis is over.
What are the benefits of CELTA Online?
- Flexible: You can access the online materials at any time, giving you the flexibility to plan your CELTA work around your other professional and personal commitments.
- Part time trainees meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays (5-9pm) for teaching practice meeting students online in real time. On Saturdays (9-3pm approx.) you will complete methodology session (like online, real time lectures)
- Accessible: Because the course is a 100% online, there will be no accommodation or travel costs! Thus reducing overall expenses (and stress!)
Will the fact that I’ve taken CELTA Online appear on my certificate?
No. CELTA Online leads to exactly the same certificate as the face-to-face CELTA. Assessed outcomes are the same for all trainees, so there is no need for separate certification.